Sunday 1 November 2009

Beet this, baby!


I miss the seasons. I'm talking about a spring that pushes your jumpers into the back of the wardrobe and sends you off on a picnic; a summer that throws you in the pool and hands you a cocktail; an autumn that is worth it's weight in gold, ruby and amber; and a winter that demands a good cuddle and a cup of hot chocolate. As wonderful as year-round sunshine and washing that dries in half an hour is, the Middle East does miss these little reminders to change what you're doing, change what you're wearing, and change what you're eating.

Call me boring, but when I lived in London I could spend hours of my weekend wandering around Borough Market. If I wasn't on a freelance budget I would have had a basket piled high, but I was just there to see what was fresh and in season.

In Muscat, while we're theoretically in late autumn (if you can consider mid 20s - celsius not Fahrenheit - autumnal), the supermarket just doesn't say the same thing, so I'm going with what's fun to cook with and just plain colourful. This weekend, in celebration of Breast Cancer Awareness month, I decided to attempt something bright pink before heading out on a girls' fundraising bash, so my poor better half was in for a treat... beetroot soup!

If you like your hands clean and your tea towels bleach white, then this probably isn't for you, but if you're having a "my body is a temple" day then go for it. This was actually inspired by a Sri Lankan beetroot curry recipe in a recipe book that's at the top of the pile in my kitchen, Life's A Beach Cottage - Second Helpings, by the Durban-based food editor of House and Leisure Magazine, Neil Roake. It reminded me of a trip to Galle, two years ago, where every dish was a taste bud-exploding spice trail. Delicious if you like things with a bit of bite, although I toned things down a lot for the soup so it's not quite so scary.


Beetroot Soup


1 onion
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 large beetroots, peeled and diced (wear gloves or plastic bags over your hands before attempting this)
Olive oil
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp chilli powder (more if you're feeling brave)
2½ cups hot water
1 g-free stock cube
1 cup coconut milk

Sautée the onions, potatoes, and beetroots for 5-10 minutes, then add the stock (mix the stock cube and water together) and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and blitz until smooth. If the beetroot is still a bit chunky, return to the heat and simmer a bit more. Stir in the coconut milk. Serve hot or cold with a swirl of coconut milk and a few vegetable crisps on the side.

Mental note: Don't spill any of this on your party frock.

No comments:

Post a Comment