Wednesday 14 October 2009

First things first


So, how did I end up here... with my desk a pile of papers and photos, and gluten-free flour and muffin mixture in my hair? My life’s a little less organised than I would normally have it, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, as I’m discovering.

A writer and sub-editor by profession, I spent the last eight years finding my niche in the world of journalism. Three years with South Africa’s Garden and Home magazine as a sub editor saw me discover that I may just have green fingers (if I put my mind to it) and I dipped them into décor writing and, inspired by photographer Connall Oosterbroek, my first bit of flora photography.

While my heart will always be in South Africa, my need to see more of the world then took me to London, where I spent the next year freelancing for almost every garden, décor, food and fashion mag I’d ever dreamed of working with… until winter set in. An offer to work on a celebrity news magazine saw me hop aboard a plane towards in the bright lights, new – and very sunny – city of Dubai. After fours years in an exciting whirl of mad deadlines and travel writing, however, I wanted to simplify things a bit. So I curled up on the couch and edited wedding magazines from the comfort of our apartment – the perfect job while planning my own one.

And there I was living my wholewheat toast and homemade muesli life (yes, I found it therapeutic chopping piles of fruit and nuts) when my fiancée realised he needed to end the months of stomach pains, and years of sneezing, he’d been enduring. We thought food allergy tests might be the answer - I decided to do them as well, out of interest's sake - and discovered that we both have Type 3 allergies to gluten and cow's milk - amongst other things! It was a complete surprise to me, and as half the contents of my kitchen cupboards were banished, I thought my fun in the kitchen was over. Countless loaves of flopped, foul-tasting gluten-free bread attempts, crumbly pizza and flavourless, nothing-added rice puffs later and I was on a mission. This could not possibly mean the end of scones and tea, muffins, mince pies and birthday cake!

So, in between setting up house in our new location of Muscat, Oman, working on my photography, attempting to grow a vegetable garden in the desert, training the beautiful pup, Ben, we rescued, and seeing the sights, I’ve been rehashing recipes – some old favourites along with new ones. And there is no point in not sharing any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment