Sunday 18 October 2009

Two to Tango...


Mango Ice Cream with Passion Fruit

I was sitting at a beach cottage balcony in SA's Plettenberg Bay when I decided I wanted to make my own ice cream. This was nine years ago, I think, and we were devouring a family friend's tub of homemade vanilla creaminess that rivalled anything I've ever eaten in Italy. Many convenient tubs of Haagen-Dazs, Ben & Jerry's and heavenly scoops of gelato in Rome and Venice put that plan on hold, but today I'm pleased to say I've finally done it... gluten-free, dairy-free, but definitely not yum-free.




Shopping list...

4 large ripe mangoes
1x400g tin coconut cream
¼ tsp xanthan gum
Fresh passion fruit for the topping

The secret is super-sticky, sweet mangoes. If they're not the sort that would require you to sit outside under a sprinkler to stay clean while you eat them, it just won't taste the same. Peel and cut the mangoes up into big chunks and pop them into a bag in the freezer. When the ice cream craving calls, let them defrost a little, then let your blender do it's work until they start to go smooth. Add the coconut cream and zanthan gum and blend until creamy. If it's not sweet enough for you, add a tablespoon or two of sugar and blend a bit more. Pour the mixture into a plastic tub and place it in the freezer. I don't have an ice cream machine, although one is now on my "Dear Santa, please may I have..." list after attempting this by hand. To stop ice crystals forming you need to give the ice cream a good stir every 45 minutes or so, for about 2 hours. You deserve a few scoops after that!

No comments:

Post a Comment