Wednesday 18 November 2009

Fresh From The Farm


Last weekend, we spent the day at a friend's family farm near Barka, a town not far from Muscat. It was a perfect day out in the open, surrounded by date palms, fruit trees, herbs, vegetables, playing kids and friends.










I ended up with bunches of fresh mint and rocket, thanks to the lovely Jacquie. Most of the mint has gone into a coconut, lime and mint attempt at ice cream. The rocket went into today's lunch.

One of the first things I cooked when Gav and I found out that gluten was out, was a sort of fried onion and mushroom, rice, tun, herbs concoction. It changes every time I make it, depending on what's in the fridge... peppers, salmon, chilli, you name it. Hence the reason Gav and I call it 'Rice Surprise'. So while Gav was away this weekend, I had the house to myself, DVDs to watch and a 15-minute meal was in order.

Wild Rice Surprise



1 cup brown basmati, red camargue and wild rice (this is a Waitrose mix)
1 tin pink salmon (use fresh if you have the time)
1 spring onion sliced
½ red chilli sliced
Fresh rocket leaves
Sheep's milk feta (this is one form of dairy I'm not allergic to)
Sliced lime

Boil the rice until cooked, then rinse under cold water. Once cool, stir in the chilli and rocket. Flake in the salmon and top with crumbled feta, spring onion and a dash of lime juice. Eeezy!


1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures!!! And I think we may have to try out the Wild rice surprise when I'm over :)

    ReplyDelete