Friday 6 November 2009

Earth Queen


I'm sure my mother is having vivid green flashbacks at reading this heading. We sat up late one night when I was about 10, sewing rainbows and clouds, raindrops and rivers onto a bright green horse blanket and making my Earth Queen paper crown to go with my leprechaun-green outfit for my entry into the fancy dress competition at the Pietermaritzburg Pony Show. I walked away prize-less but, looking back, this was definitely one of life's sweet moments.

I guess I've always had a bit of a thing about trying to do my bit for the planet, but watching The 11th Hour last year made me realise that that wasn't quite enough. I came home adamant that, apart from doing everything I could to create less mess in this world, I was going to grow a vegetable garden when I left my city apartment. I'm pleased to say that I now have two planter boxes (all credit goes to DIY star Gav for those) supplying my kitchen with herbs; and the tomatoes, carrots, onions and melons are well on their way. Go on and get your hands a little dirty and do the same.

With the UN Climate Change Conference taking place 30 days from now, I have just signed the UN's Climate Petition, hoping that it might make a small difference. If you're interested in doing the same, click on the Hopenhagen stamp on the right hand banner of my page and add your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment