Wednesday 28 October 2009

We are family...!

I was going to title this "you're not alone", but decided that was far too dreary for today. I started off this site thinking that friends and family would probably be the last ones interested in it. If you don't suffer from an allergy it is, understandably, hard to identify with. No one in their right, left, front and back mind would attempt to make a loaf of bread without eggs, dairy, yeast and wheat flour if they didn't have to.

I thought Gav and I were particularly lucky that we weren't attempting this g-free life alone. I'll be honest, if it wasn't for him, I probably would have given up at that first loaf of rubber I baked. I thought that meeting a neighbour whose daughter suffers from celiac disease was some wonderful cosmic coincidence. But starting this site has been something of a revelation. In the last two days, almost every person I've spoken to has told me about a family member who has some form of gluten-related problem.

My sister told me, yesterday, that she's just discovered that gluten intolerance is behind the stomach pain she's suffered from for over a year. While I'm devastated for her (no more dinners at the Italian heaven that is Spiga's!), I am thrilled that I can share my recipes with her and am now looking forward to attempting my first gluten-free Christmas... with bells on.

No comments:

Post a Comment