Friday 4 December 2009

Giving Thanks


Oman's week-long Eid and National Day holiday is over and the saddest part is that we've had to also say farewell to our Coloradan (I think that's what you call someone from Colorado) cronies, Brian and Bree, as they head off on an exciting new venture in Concan, Texas.

It has been an amusing few months getting to know them - very much a case of "You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-maa-toe", "You say pe-caahn pie, I say pee-can pie". And they've introduced us to the gastronomic treats that are fish tacos and Thanksgiving.

We started off this week rolling, with our first Thanksgiving lunch. And I thought Christmas was a feast until I had my plate piled with turkey, cranberry sauce, corn bread dressing (with Bree made gluten-free with a recipe I gave her), mashed potato, sweet potato... I've discovered that there is an art to maximising the amount of food you can place on a plate, but my belly was having none of it.

I'm proud to say I got into the spirit of things and made my first All-American pumpkin pie (gluten-free pastry and all). It wasn't exactly a Martha Stewart wonder pie, but it didn't go down too badly :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment